The ultimate high-end headphones – that’s what Ultrasone calls its Edition 8 cans. When they’re emblazoned with Ruthenium (surprisingly not made from people called Ruth) and – look away now animal rights activists! – use fine Ethiopian sheepskin leather for the inner ear cap and headband, they are indeed a luxury…
That is – of course – reflected in the price tag, with the Edition 8 headphones costing a mere £1,199.
Still, your money buys you the latest S-Logic Plus technology to provide “peerless sound quality to the listener”.
Apparently, the S-Logic design incorporates a new titanium plated tri-bass-tube driver and uses decentralised driver positioning to push the sound around the ear, making it appear as though the listener is hearing speakers metres away.
It also offers safer headphone use by cutting sound pressure levels by up to 40 per cent (3-4dB), allowing the same volume to be achieved with less damaging consequences.
Ultrasone’s Ultra Low Emission (ULE) technology also uses special MU Metal Shielding to reduce the potentially damaging magnetic field emissions created by the headphone drivers by up to 98 per cent.
* Frequency range: 6-42.000Hz
* Driver: 40mm tri-bass-tube titanium-plated Mylar drivers
* Magnet: NdFeb
* Sound pressure level: 96dB
* Weight: 260g (excluding cord)
* USC cord with a 3.5 gold-plated plug (OFC Cable – length 1.2m)
* USC Extension cable with 3.5mm gold plated plugs (OFC Cable – length 4m)
* 3.5/6.3mm gold-plated adapter
* Three-year warranty.