Now that the iPhone 4 has been out for a few weeks but those new features aren’t just limited to the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS users can get in on the act. With new features such as multitasking, iBooks and homescreen wallpapers, here’s our guide to getting the latest update.
Before you start make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on you Mac or PC and that the phone’s data (contact, etc.) are completely backed up.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer using the USB cable provided.
- The iPhone should be detected by iTunes automatically.
- Sync and back up your iPhone.
- There should be an alert telling you that new software is available. If not, click on the Check for Update option.
- Your computer will now download the firmware update.
- Once downloaded, iTunes will start to update your iPhone automatically.
- At this point, DO NOT remove the USB cable while the firmware is updating, you will brick your iPhone and render it useless.
- When iOS has upgraded, the iPhone will restart. It will take a while but it will happen.
- When it turns on, you should have iOS4 goodness on your iPhone 3G/3GS.